Wednesday 20 November 2013

Weather Station on a Stick

Shortly after I wrote the last post the Davis Weather Vue weather station I had ordered was delivered. Inside the box was the console (a small unit with an LCD display and some buttons) and what Davis calls the Integrated Sensor Suite, or ISS (a single white and black plastic unit housing rain gauge, anemometer, wind vane and thermometer). There was also a plastic bag that contained a mounting kit, battery and a teeny tiny Allen wrench so small I thought it was something you could use to poke into the Reset holes present on some consumer electronic equipment.

Along with the Weather Vue I had ordered a USB Data Logger, which was supplied with Davis' WeatherLink software. This is an extra - the Weather Vue will function happily without it - but I wanted to export the data to my Raspberry Pi and a Data Logger was required to do this. Prodata had thoughtfully attached detailed instructions regarding installation and preparation of the software. Presumably they had had plenty of questions from users about it in the past. Depressing, though, that the software and Data Logger hardware hadn't had the difficulties designed out.

Assembling the ISS was trivial. The instruction booklet was well presented and clearly explained how to insert the rain tipping spoon (their word), attach the wind cups and wind vane. The ISS has to be mounted on a pole, so I bought an aerial mast which, at 3cms was about the recommended diameter. Prior to mounting it I tested that it was communicating with the console and then attached it to the mast and the whole lot to the bracket that had formerly held the WH-1080. A nice touch was the spirit level built into the top of the ISS to help ensure it is level.

Ugly, though, isn't it?

Consolation Surprise

The hard part done I turned to the console. To my chagrin I realised that although it had been supplied with a mains adapter it also required three 'C' size batteries. These weren't available in either of the shops in the village and so I had to trek into the nearby town. Once procured and inserted I switched on the console which was meant to run through a self test and beep four times. I lost count after about the twelfth beep and was becoming somewhat concerned at the random messages on the screen and constant reboots.

Eventually the console settled down and I was able to start the setup process which, apart from finding elevation, latitude and longitude (Google Earth is your friend here), was pretty much a case of accepting the defaults. Once complete the latest data from the ISS is displayed together with astronomical events - I was pretty impressed to see it show that the Taurid meteor shower was due.

All this, and more
By pressing one of the buttons on the console it's possible to obtain more information about, say, the wind as well as displaying the data in the graph in the bottom left of the display. At present I've only scratched the surface of the information it is possible to display.


Web Weaver

The next stage was to link the Vantage Vue to my Raspberry Pi and upload the data to a web site. Firstly I installed the WeatherLink software that had been supplied with the data logger onto my PC which enabled me to test that I was able to download data from the console. This worked without a problem so I installed the latest version of the excellent Cumulus software, again I was able to receive data with no errors.

Being unfamiliar with weewx (and somewhat shaky with Linux) knowing that the hardware worked meant one fewer place to look if it didn't work. The beauty of weewx is that it's pretty easy to set up, offering two ways to install itself (via a package or from a downloaded tar file); both methods are explained in the docs section of the weewx website. I opted for the tar file method as it installs all the files in /home/weewx and it seemed easier to have all the gubbins in the same place.

After weewx was installed I had to edit the weewx.conf file to set the altitude, location and weather station type. This step is well documented in the docs and I used Leafpad on the Pi via an Xming session to make the changes. Yes, yes, real men use the command line, but I don't care. An extract from the weewx.conf file is shown below.
Easy peasy configuration file editing
The part that had me scratching my head was the FTP sections - crucial to get right if I wanted to see the data on the web. For the server name I first used the local URL of my web server (actually a Qnap NAS) and this failed. Eventually I had success by using the IP address of the NAS.

After I had finished fiddling about I started weewx and watched the log with crossed digits. Everything looked good, especially the FTP upload, so I opened up the webpage and was rewarded by data from the weather station and a selection of graphs. As my confidence editing weewx's index.html.tmpl file grew I added a feed from the webcam and satellite information from Meteox. This is the final result or you can peruse the half-hourly feed to Weather Underground and The Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW).

So everything's sweetness and light. Well, not quite. I have an issue with the daily graphs in that they plot points and not lines; oddly the graphs for monthly data correctly show lines, dunno why the daily graphs don't. Before I ask on the weewx forum I want to eliminate the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment